Smart Choices— A career exploration consultation service
The Smart Choices Career Development Services, a new series of consultation sessions, is designed to help employees develop skills and gain experiences that will assist them in advancing their careers. Offered through the Human Resources Department at Washington University School of Medicine, the service is available to all staff members in management and non-managerial roles.
Some of the services offered through the program include assistance in:
- Understanding personal career interests, strengths and commitments
- Identifying methods of acquiring desired skills and experiences needed for career advancement
- Learning about the current career paths and jobs at the School of Medicine and the university
- Writing/reviewing resumes and cover letters
- Networking within/outside the organization
- Preparing for the best interview and putting your best foot forward
- Navigating the transfer process
While personal career development remains the responsibility of each of us, talking with the career development specialist can help you set realistic career goals and identify concrete steps to meet them. And even though meeting with the career development specialist does not guarantee a new job placement, it can be the first step toward creating a fulfilling career path long term.
How you can help
How can you help make Smart Choices a success at the School of Medicine?
- Let employees know Smart Choices is available as a resource for them
- Encourage employees to develop skills and give them an opportunity to do so
- Coach employees for the short term, mentor them for the long term
- Foster an atmosphere of open, honest and helpful communication
- Look for this program on digital signage and flyers posted in areas around the school.
To access these services, contact Ivory Woodhouse, GCDF, Career Development Specialist in the Learning & Training Division, by telephone at 314-362-4986 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.