Climate of Mutual Respect
Creating a climate of mutual respect is important to enhancing and promoting a culture which fully embraces diversity and inclusion.
Washington University School of Medicine promotes a climate of mutual respect in the workplace. As members of the School of Medicine community, we respect the worth, dignity, potential and uniqueness of each individual. We empower each other and encourage teamwork to benefit those we serve.
Our community is one in which:
We value each other’s work and our roles by:
- behaving in ways that show respect toward coworkers
- developing relationships that are built on trust
- promoting a climate that is fair, supportive, and responsive
creating a welcoming environment through our words, actions and physical surroundings
We do not make jokes, comments, participate in “hall talk”, or behave in ways that interfere with coworkers’ performance or that creates an offensive, hostile, or intimidating work place. Office facilities and services are accessible to coworkers with disabilities.
We recognize and value our differences as well as our similarities by:
- promoting a climate that is free of discriminating language and actions
- encouraging open and honest communication
- improving self-awareness and using this knowledge to understand differences
- celebrating differences
We do not verbally attack or belittle our coworkers because they may appear, think or act differently. Conflict is dealt with in a way that shows consideration for other people’s opinions.
We empower ourselves and others by:
- creating a climate where we are encouraged to develop our talents and ideas
- giving individuals the responsibility, freedom and resources to do their jobs
- providing opportunities for people to assume a variety of decision-making roles
- taking pride in our work
We take the opportunity to participate in the decision-making process. This may be through contributing in staff meetings, serving on committees, raising questions or making suggestions.
We encourage teamwork by:
- creating opportunities for individuals and units to work together to serve our customers
- sharing and exchanging information and ideas
- understanding how we collectively help the School of Medicine reach its mission
Each department, program, center, institute and initiative is an important part of the “big picture” of Washington University School of Medicine. We promote cooperation among coworkers within the university as a whole to help insure that the needs of those with whom we work and interact are being identified and met.
The information on this page is directly quoted from an existing source provided by the Human Resources Department at Washington University School of Medicine which can be viewed here.