Cultivating Community Opportunities: Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Commemoration 2023
“Life’s most persistent and urgent question is, ‘What are you doing for others? ‘”
― Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
Here are ways to get involved on Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day!
Donation and fundraising opportunities:
Unstoppable Extended Hands is a non-profit organization founded in 2008. Dedicate time throughout the year to gathering essential items and support for students and families in the Chicago, IL, and St. Louis, MO areas.
Assisted over 500 low-income families with necessities and school supplies where the primary caregivers are grandmothers, aunts, uncles, foster parents, and older siblings; with some of the youth served being displaced as well.
The Collective STL is a 501(c)3 non-profit donation based Yoga and Wellness Space located in the heart of Old North St. Louis, Missouri that serves the greater St. Louis Metro area. Since 2018, we have supported thousands of St. Louisians and others with mental wellness through our culturally aware, trauma informed programming for healing.
Our goal is to create a space where Black people in St. Louis have adequate access to health and wellness spaces, spaces that center their (our) identities and experiences, spaces that are warm and welcoming, and spaces that build community. We believe that the responsibility of the health and wellness of Black people in St. Louis is the responsibility of the collective; we are all The Collective.
You can donate to The Collective STL via PayPal.
Get The Lead Out with The BRIC is a nonprofit dedicated to supporting patients and families after the experience of bullet injuries through whole person-centered care. Founded by trauma surgeon Dr. LJ Punch, The BRIC is there to support patients who are managing their care on their own after leaving the Emergency Department. Patients are invited to clinic for in-person care for wound care, pain management, and trauma recovery guidance. By providing just in time education and self-care support, The BRIC is both an asset to community members and hospital.
With your help, The BRIC can reach this goal and continue the work we’ve set out to do in this campaign. Every donation makes a difference.
- $1 will support one day non-opioid multi-modal pain medication.
- $5 will support one day of wound care supplies.
- $10 will provide a week of wellness supplies.
- $100 will support a week of multi-modal holistic pain management.
- $1000 will support the surgery to remove a bullet, and the follow up care to heal the wound, physically, emotionally, and spiritually.
You can donate to The BRIC’s Get Out the Lead campaign via Paypal.
Power4STL is the legal name for The T, a 501c3 charitable organization. Donations are tax deductible.
Community events celebrating MLK Day:
- 54th Annual MLK Day Parade
- MLK Community Celebration at the Missouri History Museum
- Tribute to Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.; The St. Louis Symphony Orchestra and IN UNISON Chorus
- Art for Justice: Family Sunday in honor of Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
- UMSL-“Give us the ballot!! How do we leverage the power of our collective voices to impact change.”
- Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King. Jr. Celebration feat. Brittany Packnett Cunningham
- St. Louis Science Center Community STEAM Showcase – Annual MLK Weekend Event
- STLCC-Florissant Valley and NCCU Host 2023 Dr. MLK Jr. Celebration
- Cathedral Basilica of St. Louis: Annual Peace and Justice Mass
- SLU-Sybrina Fulton, Mother of Trayvon Martin, to Speak at 2023 MLK Memorial Tribute
- United Way of STL:Martin Luther King Jr. Day of Service
- BJC: Embracing the Dream: Marching with Intention with keynote speaker Shantay N. Bolton, PhD, MBA, ODCP, CEC, Washington University in St. Louis executive vice chancellor for administration and chief administrative officer.