The strategies below can be effective when communicating across cultures.
- Know yourself: Understand why you are pursuing this subject
biases, assumptions, attitudes, likes and dislikes.
- Learn about different cultures and values: Both within and outside the US.
- Use shared language: Avoid slang and jargon. Use day-to-day vocabulary.
- Take your time: Don’t jump to conclusions. Allow someone to finish, relax, be flexible.
- Consider physical and human setting: This includes one’s physical environment and context, customs, past practice and timing.
- Improve communication skills: Listen and be attentive. Concentrate on explicit signals and be sensitive to implicit cues. Be aware of nonverbal cues and communication. Establish common goals.
- Encourage feedback. Allow for correction and adjustment of message: Create a comfortable environment. Ask questions, and listen intently to responses.
- Develop empathy: Understand and appreciate the worldview of others. Treat others as you want to be treated.